Friday, August 27, 2010

First Time for Last Chances

The best thing about being a senior in college: last chances. This whole week has been full of last chances. Sunday I went to USC's Bid Day festivities for all of the sororities on campus. I had never been, and it was quite the experience. The only event that can even come close to comparison is the running of the bulls in Spain. I am being completely serious when I say that. Every gamecock should experience the madness of Bid Day at least once, I promise it's worthwhile! I also ate some chicken fingers on Russell House's famous chicken finger Wednesday for the first time ever. I was a vegetarian for almost all of my three previous years in school, and by default, I always missed out. Let me tell you, they were definitely all that people had cracked them up to be!

The reason for me taking part in both of these events is simple. I don't have "next year" to do them. I only have this year, my senior year, the last year I will be a student at the University of South Carolina. It's now or never. I don't have the ability to just miss out because there's always next year. There is no next year for me, it's this year or not at all. So I plan to take advantage of my senior year and do all the things that I have been putting off since freshman, sophomore and junior year.

We have to take advantage of the time that we are given. If we don't, it will be gone all too soon. Then what are we left with? Psalm 90 says "Teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." I hope that all of us can number our days, and live like it's senior year every year, no matter what the case. That's the only way to live. Go after your dreams. Conquer your fears. Tell your best friend who isn't a Christian about Jesus. Tell those who you're close with how much you care for them. Do all the things you've wanted to do, but haven't been able to because something has always held you back. Just do it (thanks Nike). You won't regret it.

That's how I'm spending this year, doing all the things I haven't done yet, and leaving (or walking across the stage to get my diploma!) without any regrets.

Until next time,
-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment