Friday, August 20, 2010

Be Still

This past week = craziness. I moved into my new apartment Sunday morning, and really haven't stopped "moving" since. I've had meetings, training sessions, more meetings and reunions with friends. While these past fews days have been an exciting start to a wonderful senior year, they also have been exhausting.

The first Campus Crusade for Christ (a campus ministry that I love and am heavily involved in) weekly meeting was tonight. Tons of people were there, and I must admit, I was not exactly looking forward to be surrounded by hundreds of people when I haven't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep last night and the night before last. This all changed when the praise band started playing. It was like the chaos that ensued this week just melted away. It was so refreshing to just be. I was able to take some time and praise God for being awesome and thank Him for another year of being able to serve Him at school.

This whole week I have stressing about how much I have to do this semester. I will be the first to admit I am an overachiever; I like to do well. I like to succeed and am very determined. I voluntarily put a lot on my plate. I've come to find out over the past year or so that's not what life's about. Someone once told me that we're not human doings, we're human beings. God doesn't want us to do anything but love Him and everyone, including myself can find peace and rest in Him.

One of my all time favorite Bible verses is Psalm 46:10, the whole Psalm  is great, but verse 10 is just phenomenal. It says, "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the Nations, I will be exalted among the Earth." I encourage all of you doers, overachievers, worriers, type-A personalities and just busy people to be still. You don't have to do anything. Just rest. I plan to do that, or at least try to do that this semester. If you think about it, our very best efforts aren't good enough sometimes (or ever). I fail, and I fail a lot, we all do. So be thankful that God will be exalted, not because of anything that you or I do, but just because He's God and He's awesome. He's in control and all we have to do is acknowledge that.

So here's to a start of a brand new semester and a brand new school year. I hope we can all be still, at least once in awhile and just enjoy life.

Cheers,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment