Friday, August 13, 2010

Here goes nothing....

Over the past few weeks, I've had this desire to start a blog. Not sure why, because I do believe I am not the best person to do this kind of stuff. My thoughts are sporadic, and sometimes I make no sense whenever I'm trying to make a point. Yet, here I am. I have a few friends that blog, and do quite a fantastic job at it too. Maybe one day, I can be like them, but I know that day is not now, so bare with me!

I'm taking this desire, and putting it into action. I will admit, I really have no Earthly idea what I am getting myself into, but half the fun in any journey is finding out, in time, where the road will take you. I don't claim to be an expert on anything. I just have my opinion, and that's what I'm here to share. I guess I should share a little bit about myself to give you a sense of how my opinion is formed.

Here are some bullet points:

  • I am a follower of Jesus Christ, and everything I do is out of the love I have discovered through my Savior.
  • I am a senior at the University of South Carolina, and was born and raised a gamecock. 
  • I grew up in a small town called Winnsboro, South Carolina. It's the epitome of a southern town.
  • I went to the same school from ages 5 to 18. My graduating class had 30 people in it.
  • While my school was small, I have a huge extended family. I am 1 of 35 grandchildren on my father's side and I have more cousins than I could even count. 
  • I love politics more than most. I interned in DC last summer for a SC Congressman (John Spratt, SC-5), and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. 
  • I spent six weeks of this summer in Lebanon, and I absolutely love the Middle East. I can't wait to go back, inshallah! 
  • I'm taking a year (maybe two) off after I graduate, and then hopefully heading to law school. 
  • I have a beagle-jack russell terrier mix named Sugar; she turns 11 in October, and I love her to peices. 
  • I have a twin brother named Tommy, but we are NOTHING a like. One may not guess that we are even related. I'm older by two minutes (score!). I also have an older brother named Justin. 
  • I've been reading a lot lately, who knows if that will keep up when classes start back, but I certainly have enjoyed it this summer. I read Crazy Love (Chan), The Pursuit of God (Tozer), Mere Christianity (Lewis), Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die (Piper), and Have a Little Faith (Albom). All are fantastic, so check them out! 
  • I'm a reality TV show addict, and no, I'm not ashamed of that fact.
  • I remember random things that have no significance that most people wouldn't even bother committing to memory. 
  • I love old movies. My favorite movie of all time is "It's a Wonderful Life." I watch it every Christmas and always cry at the end. 
  • I love getting to know people. 
  • I love all sports but football and baseball take priority!
  • Deep spiritual conversations are my favorite.
If you're still reading after all of that, I applaud you and appreciate you.  I look forward to seeing what comes of this blog. Hopefully, you do too. Thanks for reading. 

Until next time, 
Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment